I have written about analyst reports in the past. Last week I read about the The Forrester Wave™: Big Data Fabric, Q2 2018. A few months ago I wrote a 5 part series about Big Data Platforms. Apparently platforms like Cloudera an Hortonworks do not run the show according to this analysis report.
“Talend, Denodo Technologies, Oracle, IBM, And Paxata Lead The Pack”
According to Forrester, a Big Data Fabric is an emerging platform which accelerates business insights; “by automating ingestion, curation, discovery, preparation and integration from data silos”. It can support many types of use cases. The top big data fabric use cases Forrester has seen are:
- A 360-degree view of the customer
- Internet-of-things (IoT) analytics
- Real-time & Advanced analytics
Forrester has included the following companies (Cambridge Semantics, Cloudera, Denodo Technologies, Hitachi Vantara, Hortonworks, IBM, Informatica, Oracle, Paxata, Podium Data, SAP, Syncsort, Talend, TIBCO Software, and Trifacta) into the report, based on a few inclusion criteria. The most important ones are the functionality of the offering and (of course) Cloud. The offering must be able to offer the following functionality:
- data access
- data discovery
- data transformation
- data integration
- data preparation
- data security
- data governance
- data orchestration of data sources
Of course the solution;
- “must be able to ingest, process, and curate large amounts of structured, semistructured, and unstructured data stored in Big Data Platforms
- “should be able to store metadata/catalogs for data modeling and data access purposes to support a globally distributed data fabric.
- “must be able to run on cloud or on-premises platforms.”
“Oracle continues to broaden its big data fabric solution”
Oracle’s key strengths lie in its security & governance capabilities, highly scalable data movement, and transformations that can be done in real-time streaming environments. Forrester says, Oracle’s customers use the Big Data Fabric to support the various use cases, like real-time analytics, customer intelligence, IoT applications, and other Big Data applications and insights.
The following Oracle products are included in the report:
- Big Data Appliance
- Oracle Golden Gate for Big Data
- Oracle Data Integrator for Big Data
- Stream Analytics
- Metadata Management
- Big Data SQL
- Data Integration Platform Cloud
- Big Data Cloud Service
- Event Hub Cloud Service
- Oracle Big Data SQL Cloud Service
- Exadata Cloud Service
Find out what some of the other vendors have to say about the report:
Of course this report is only a view from one analyst. You should check what the Gartners of this world have to say to get a completer picture.
Originally published on LinkedIn.