Last week I stepped out of my comfort zone and attended Alteryx Inspire Europe 2018. When I joined Pong. earlier this year, I found out that we have an Alteryx license. Working in Oracle environments for so long, I had not run into Alteryx before. I was very curious about the possibilities of the project. Lucky for me Werner Maurits made it possible for me to attend the event.
I had a few questions upfront.
“What is Alteryx and why would I use it?”
The event was made up of a few different tracks. I decided to attend several different trainings to make sure I would make my hands dirty. These Platform Trainings gave me a lot of hands-on insight of the product, next to things like…..
- ……the Keynotes (e.g. Dean Stoecker, Founder + CEO, Ashley Kramer – SVP of Product Management and a lot more)
- …..Sponsor Expo (great to see the integration with third party solutions like Snowflake DB),
- …..Breakout Sessions
- …..ALTER.NATION ( Community, User Groups, AFG, User Experience Lab, Social Lounge, Product Showcase).
- …..The Solutions Centre, which was a bit off limits for me. If you would have an challenge to conquer, the (and I quote) brilliant minds of Alteryx development, product management, professional services, and Customer Success Group associates are there to help you.
- …..CODE.CHELLA, the Inspire gala event was fun too.
For another impression of the event, check out the #alteryxeu18 hashtag (while it lasts).
Back to the question; “What is Alteryx?”. Alteryx is an end-to-end analytics platform which tries to bring Business Users and Data Engineers / Scientists together. One single platform where different types of user can “discover, transform, model, and analyze data using a single governed, collaborative, and scalable enterprise analytic solution”.
- Discover and Collaborate – Alteryx Connect helps users to search & find the right analytic assets at the right time, combining data cataloging and metadata.
- Prepare, Analyze and Model – Alteryx Designer provides a self-service capability to cleanse, prepare and blend data from all relevant datasources.
- Share, Scale and Govern – Alteryx Server allows to create, publish, and share analytic applications and data connections. It helps to schedule and automate workflow jobs, next to controlling data access.
- Deploy and Manage – Alteryx Promote makes it easy to deploy, manage, and monitor production based analytic models.
Although the event is a great opportunity to get together with Alteryx enthusiasts, I spend most of my time exploring Alteryx Designer. Another great way to get to know about Alteryx (including Designer) is the Alteryx Community.
During the event lots of Use Cases have been presented, also by the various attending and presenting customers. That gave me an impression for my second question; “Why would I use Alteryx?”. The opportunities seem to be endless. Alteryx Community is another place where I could find some possible use cases, per department, industry and product.
All in all I have been experiencing three very inspiring days. Far too much for me to absorb everything, but a very nice opportunity to get to know more about the Alteryx product.
The coming weeks / months I will spend some more time in the Alteryx Academy and the Tips & Tricks. This way I will be better equipped to get more out of Alteryx for Pong. It is a happy couple anyway.