A typical Oracle BI Cloud Service (BICS) flow looks like the following:
- Load your data to the Cloud
- Model and Secure your data
- Author Analyzes,Visualizations and Interactive Dashboards
- Use and Share BICS content
In the current version of BICS you have to upload your data into the Cloud. There are several ways to load the data:
The BICS Data Sync is a client utility to schedule and load data into the Cloud. If you are familiar with the Informatica version of Oracle BI Applications, you will see the similarities between BICS Data Sync and the DAC. BICS Data Sync has become GA on OTN recently.
For more details about BICS Data Sync check the following:
- BICS Data Sync getting started guide
- BICS Data Sync documentation
- Configuring the Data Sync Tool for BI Cloud Service (BICS)
In the first BICS version the only database option for BICS was the Oracle Schema-as-a-Service. This had its limitations. Oracle recently release the option to run BICS on a Oracle Database-as-a-Service. Check here for the differences between the two. One of the benefits of the Database-as-a-Service option that you can use any ETL tool to load data into the Cloud. Consider the BICS Data Sync option as a light option for ETL to the Cloud.